The last two days I have been in complete denial. My two weeks of vacation are over (many of you will probably be working already for a couple of days) and I always get rather gloomy when that happens. While others are already working on their new year’s resolutions and digging out the healthy recipes after days of feasting. I’m not though. I wanna stay in the culinary christmas wonderland just a tad longer.
The last days the temperature dropped way below zero here in Germany and while being curled up in front of the fireplace I do NOT want to eat some low calorie meal. So I spend the last night under a thick blanket, binge watching telly shows and making those fabulous baked apples with candied walnuts.
Those babies are filled with a lovely mixture of marzipan and candied walnuts. You can use store bought candied walnuts of course or you could very easily make your own. I used this quick, no fuss recipe from Natasha’s kitchen. If you want to use a different filling for the apples, you certainly can. A lot of people like other kinds of nuts or dried fruit as a filling, but I think apples and marzipan are match made in heaven. The baked apples with candied walnuts take a while in the oven, so you need to be patient there, but they are prepared really quickly.
- 2 apples, washed and cored
- 80g marzipan
- 1 cup candied walnuts, divided
- 6 cloves
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup white wine
- Preheat you oven to 160° C / 320° F.
- Chop one half of the walnuts roughly and mix them with the marzipan. Divide in half and stuff each apple tightly with the mixture.
- Stick 3 cloves into the skin of every apple. Set aside.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon. Brush an oven proof dish with butter and dust it with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place the apples in the dish and pour in the white wine.
- Top each apple with a little bit of butter.
- Bake for 45-60 min or until the apples are soft.
- Serve with the remaining candied walnuts on top.