If chicken liver is not your thing (if you’ve been following my blog, you might know that I love it), fear not, there will be more tosta recipes to come!
Chicken Liver Pâté Tostas
- 10 slices baguette
- 250 g chicken liver divided
- 2 onions small, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 14 sage leaves
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- olive oil
For the pâté
- Heat a tablespoon of olive in a small pan over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and the garlic cloves and cook for 5-8 minutes until everything is golden brown and soft.
- Take out of the pan and into a small mixing bowl.
- Set aside around 70g of the chicken livers for the topping. Add the remaining liver with 4 sage leaves to the pan and fry for 2-4 minutes.
- Add the brandy and cook the liver for 2-3 minutes more. Don’t overcook the liver. Take it out while it’s still pink inside. I always like to cut one open to check.
- Empty the pan into the mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- With a stick blender puree everything into a fine mousse and adjust the seasoning to taste. Set aside.
For the topping
- Cook the remaining liver until it’s just pink inside. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in the pan and fry the remaining sage leaves until they are crispy.
Assemble the tostas
- Toast your bread slices. If you have a large amount, you can do it under your broiler in the oven, while the pâté is cooking.
- Spread a nice thick layer of pâté on the baguette slices and top each slice with a piece of chicken liver and fried sage. Serve immediately.