Let’s finish grilled cheese week (and what a glorious time I had) with the king of grilled cheese sandwiches. Spicy gruyere cheese, with sweet caramelized onions, crispy bacon and mushrooms on dark bread. What a treat. It doesn’t get better than that. Usually I use light breads for grilled cheese sandwiches, but the hearty gruyere cheese just works best with a dark rye bread. Give it a try!
Gruyere with caramelized onions, bacons and mushrooms grilled cheese
- 60 g gruyere cheese
- 2 onions sliced
- 4 strips of bacon
- 2 large button mushrooms sliced
- 4 slices dark rye bread
- Put a pan over medium to low heat and add the sliced onions with a knob of butter.
- Slowly fry the onions over low heat, stirring constantly, until they are brown, soft and sweet. This step needs a bit of patience. Only over low heat the onions with caramelize and taste sweet and delicious afterwards.
- When the onions are nearly done, add the mushrooms and fry until they are browned.
- Slice the gruyere cheese and lay out half of it on two slices of bread.
- Add the onions and the mushrooms.
- Use the hot pan to fry the bacon until crispy and add to the sandwich.
- Finish with the remaining slices of gruyere cheese.
- Butter the outsides of the bread slightly and fry on both sides until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.