Summer is here and it’s here to stay as it seems. I don’t know how the temperatures are in your part oft he world, but Germany has been in a constant state of sweating and moaning about the heat and I am no exception. I’m aware that people in Australia for instance are probably laughing at us, but you guys, if we have three weeks over 32°C it will be all over the news. Every single day. I kid you not.
So it’s safe to say that cooking is not one of my top priorities right now. Every meal, that takes more than 30 minutes to prepare, is a big NO for me. So if you’re looking for a quick refreshing, yet satisfying meal, look no further, my friend and try this Tomato Avocado Panzanella.
Just a few simple ingredients, very little cooking time (because every minute the stove or oven is on is agony) and yet you have a bowl full of salad, that feels way more like comfort food than actual salad.
Tomato Avocado Panzanella
- 2 1/2 cups bread cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 avocado ripe
- 2 cups tomatoes cubed
- 2 sprigs basil
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- Slice and then cube the bread into inch pieces.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add two tablespoons of olive oil and add the bread cubes and the garlic cloves (they are just to flavour the bread. Leave them whole).
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until the bread cubes are slightly brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile dice the tomatoes and the avocado roughly.
- Mix tomatoes, avocado and bread in a big bowl or on a large plate.
- Add the basil leaves and season with salt, lemon and olive oil.