Ahhh, soup! Winter is finally here and when it’s getting cold outside the time has come for hearty stews and soups. Nothing better than coming home after a long day and curl up on the couch with a nice bowl of hot soup. Inspired by this and this I made this nice creamy soup. It’s rich, spicy, quick to make and most importantly a whole meal, that will warm you up from the inside.
Who am I kidding… eating this is like eating delicious pasta sauce. Everyone knows the sauce is the best part of a pasta dish, but you are getting strange looks if you totally drown your pasta in sauce. So just call it soup and dig in!
Tortellini Spinach Soup
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup tortellini meat, cheese, whatever you like
- 200 g spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and the garlic and cook until they start to brown.
- Add the flour and stir until everything is coated. Deglaze with the white wine.
- Add the chicken stock, the tomatoes, the tomato paste, chili, basil, oregano and rosmary.
- You could leave the soup to cook like that and it would turn out a bit chunky. That's fine too, but I like mine quite smooth so I puréed the soup with a stick blender.
- Add the cream and salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick for you at that stage you can always add a bit of water.
- Add the tortellini and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- In the end add the spinach.