How about a mid-week quickie? Those spanish shrimp fritters are versatile yet quick to make. They are a great starter, a side dish or work as a part of some tapas. Whatever you fancy. My favourite version is filled with shrimps, but bacalao (salt cod – Thanks, Annemarie!) is also a very popular addition to those fritters in spain. As so often with my recipes here, this is a dish I had since I was a little kid. My spanish grandmother and later my mother would make them regularly and now I carry on with this tradition.
Tortillas de gambas - Spanish shrimp fritters
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of yellow food coloring
- 3/4 cup of water
- 8 king prawns roughly chopped
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix flour and yeast.
- Add the parsley, garlic, egg, salt, pepper, food coloring and water.
- Mix well until it comes all together in a thick batter.
- In a large frying pan heat 1 inch deep of frying oil to 365° F / 190° C
- Add the shrimp chunks to the better and stir to combine.
- With a tablespoon drop dollops of batter carefully into the hot oil. Fry from both sides until lightly brown.
- Take out and leave to drain on some paper towels. Serve hot or cold!
These look super, super good-thank you for sharing! I also really liked your “about me” page, haha, I always feel like that too, there are so many food blogs & how could mine ever “stand out” at all? In any case, yours is awesome and looks great too. Will add to my RSS list!
Thanks so much, Allie! I have come to terms with the fact that I need to do this here for my own pleasure and if people like it… fine. If not, I still had a great time doing it :D Your blog looks great too, lovely recipes aswell. I followed you back <3
These look awesome! I love shrimp fritters as a tapas and there is nothing like a tried and true family recipe. I had to look up bacalao. I thought it was what I know as salt cod, but I wasn’t completely sure. Now I’m hungry for salt cod and shrimp fritters. :)
Salt cod! Thank you, Annemarie! I was googling quite a while for a proper translation and the one I found wasn’t quite right as it seems :D
I would LOVE a massive plate of these fritters for dinner. Delish!
Thank you! :)